Monday, November 7, 2011

Hólavallagarður, Reykjavik, Iceland

I found this lovely cemetery in a quiet suburb just outside downtown Reykjavik. To get there, we walked past city hall, around a large, still lake. The cemetery is surrounded on all four sides by large busy streets, but inside the cemetery walls, the world is cold, damp, and serene.


One might think of a cemetery as drab, but I found this one to be alive with color. In the midst of the green moss, damp brown earth, and gray stones, bright, beautiful flowers would surprise me every so often. For this reason, I chose not to photograph in black and white. 


All photographs were taken with a Canon S95.





It's images like these that make color photographs so unbeatable, from the dark, chalky stone to the blue, rusty metal chain.











The grave plots were so large, some the size of rooms. Well, one thing Iceland does have is land...







Jewish and Christian faiths were buried almost side by side. Which is very rare in most modern cemeteries.





These photos were taken via the Hipstamatic app on my iPhone.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gambia: From Banjul to Basse

Last fall, I had the honor of accompanying a client and their funders on a trip to The Gambia. It was my first time in West Africa and the s...